Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Elite Player: C_INGRAM96



My game against the #1 player in PS4 PNO wasn't unlike any game i've played against an elite opponent. Now I dont always record the matches, but in this instance I wanted to drive home the points I often make about bad game mechanics and loopholes in gameplay. Was he good? For sure. But the bigger issue was that he knew and spammed every gameplay loophole--which made our matchup less a game of skill and more one of my-exploit-is-better-than-yours.



He played with the Warriors, which made me smirk because there's little doubt in my mind that he'd played with them the last two years. Its an important point, when we consider Skill and Rank shouldn't the team we use matter? For years 2K has done a great job separating teams by talent level. It takes less skill to get wins with an elite team....a win with the Memphis Grizzlies and a win with the Lakers simply aren't equal--and ranking should reflect that. The first half was played pretty close, he was up 31-29 at halftime.

The first thing I noticed was how often he did fake passes. It was funny because you could tell he saw my win percentage and instantly thought I played like HIM--trying to spam steal on every play. I'm not judging, and I probably handicap myself but I simply can't play that way...its not fun for me. I anticipate a time where 2K punishes things you wouldn't see in an NBA game...so that's how I play. I play 2K like you would a real basketball game. His philosophy was SIMPLE, take advantage of the fact that game doesn't punish spam and ignores many fouls. Which gamers are WIRED to do, honestly. If an action doesn't have a downside? you maximize attempts. SPAM.

Here's an example: At the end of the first half I get the rebound and since steal attempts target the ball for you automatically he switches to DLo and tries a passing lane steal and misses, then he switches to Cauley-Stein and misses, I throw the ball down-court and as i'm driving towards the rim he misses a steal with Green and then misses a block with Green as I pump-fake him out of position. None of these have consequence by the way. Those guys don't lunge for the ball and take themselves out of the play like a missed steal in transition SHOULD. They simply turn and run and never leave great defensive position. Green doesn't risk getting out of position on his missed steal, and he's not risking fouling me on his missed block either. He just gets a mulligan because the game prefers Neutral Outcomes. NO DOWNSIDE--like I said. Willie even beats Embiid down-court after missing a steal.


In games at the highest level AI miscues MATTER. When we specify things like going OVER TOP of any Curry or Klay screen there are consequences, more on that later. The second half he predictably came out in zone. Open and Wide Open shots don't fall at a high rate this year so it has become the meta, which couldn't be more inauthentic. NBA teams fear the corner three like the plague, zones give it up willingly. SMH.

Early 3rd quarter we take the lead and have our first facepalm AI moment. I'm playing Catch Hedge so the person guarding the roller should stay between that person and the basket. He calls Pick-and-Roll but Embiid switches instead of following his assignment. DUNK.


We go through a cold spell despite having WIDE OPEN looks in the third and i'm down 8. He quickly exposes one of the things PNO overlooked. A five foul penalty doesn't take into account we only play 5 minute quarters, so the penalty is rare, which makes steal spam even more effective. Penalty should occur on the 3rd foul. He takes full advantage by fouling anytime he thinks i'm in scoring position. I'm patient but zones have NONE of the weaknesses that they do in reality. OPEN Shots not going down combined with the fact that passing lanes steals are easy/zones don't give up offensive rebounds/are strong vs ball movement/dribble penetration makes them too perfect and cheesers know that.

Bail-out fouls by our Good and Elite defenders was a bad design decision. Make no mistake, fouls are necessary. But our higher level defenders should play good defense and force guys to make shots--not tackle them. Especially if we're playing Conservative Aggression. More input on our AI teammates in the future...we're outnumbered 4-to-1.


Blocks SHOULD BE all or nothing. Missed blocks should take defenders out of position and risk fouls, but not provide affect shots. Contesting shots is what SHOULD affect shot success, but 2K got it backwards. So Spam wins again as the game rewards him button-mashing blocks with horrible timing. He commits two fouls early in the 4th. I'm down 6 with 3:30 to go. He commits his 3rd foul, which should put me in the penalty--but again, fouls aren't to scale.


Another loophole gets exposed on side-out plays. Since missing steals don't make a player lunge out of position, guys spam steal until you pass. Fortunately he doesn't get a steal here but he stays in perfect position despite whiffing on THREE steal attempts. We hit a three and i'm only down 5. Next come the long passes. If I have one wish for the future its that our transition defenders are competent and the ball slows over distance. He misses the shot but exposes how easily the passing lets you get open shots because our defenders wont react to the ball:


We get a good shot via ball movement but I miss a bunny with Embiid even tho Klay is the primary defender. UGH. He's still spamming steal and block whenever he thinks you're shooting or passing. NO DOWNSIDE. Richardson goes UNDER a screen on Curry. 2:13 left.


We play good defense but this time Richardson switches? SIGH. Luckily Curry doesn't hit the shot but here again, why are the options there if the AI won't follow our Coaching decisions? 2 minute warning:


We score in transition and Embiid gets a block on defense. This time I post Klay up since finishing against him with a center is so difficult   TIMEOUT. We're down one with 1:30 to go. NOTE: He instantly spams steal anytime he doesn't score--NO DOWNSIDE.


He's pulling out all the tricks now. Curry does a hop-step into the paint and then pump fakes. NOTE: The hop-step displaces the defender but doesn't have a Charge outcome and the pump fake rarely gets stripped when it doesn't work. Thats bad gameplay. I force Klay into a tough shot and we get the rebound. One minute left and I know exactly what plays to run to beat this guy. You never show your good stuff early. I go to run a play....and nothing happens. Position Plays won't trigger....what the? the play-call bug? NOW? Seriously? I recycle it but i'm rushing to avoid steal spam [insert comment about protect ball not being static] so I accidentally press Pass and Screen Away. DAMNIT. I press pass early. STEAL....layup. We're down 3 with under a minute to go....I am pissed.

I call the right play this time but i'm rushing and force up a bad shot. We get back on defense and stifle them but again--Richardson switches on defense? WTF. Fortunately Curry doesn't hit the roller and forces a shot. 10 seconds left--no timeouts. We get the rebound, get back and look for the open man. Richardson pops to the corner and he takes a foul:


Just under 4 seconds left. Here's the last play:


Welp...maybe we'll get jump shot fouls NEXT GEN   FYI: Curry's block rating is 47.

No comments:

Post a Comment